Looking to do fieldwork with us?
Please refer to the Department of Biological Sciences Fieldwork Manual for information and regulations
For snorkelling activities please also refer to the University Snorkelling manual
Apply for fieldwork using FIELD FRIENDLY
The Guide to Field Friendly may assist you. If you are having problems, please contact your relevant fieldwork manager
Guide to Field Friendly PDF
Remember to complete the Absence on Duty form
Any incident requiring first aid must be reported. Please fill out an online incident report. You must also inform your supervisor, the fieldwork manager, the faculty WHS officer and the head of department as soon as possible
For University activities Biological Sciences have a variety of vehicles available (see below). Vehicle use is subject to availability. Preference is given for teaching, service and repairs and research (in that particular order).
All users must see Tarun Rajan for Head of Department approval and insurance coverage prior to initial use. Any extensive fieldwork plans using vehicles should also be discussed.
Please read the Vehicle use guidelines for Department of Biology.
|Make/Model||Features/Suitable for||Location||Rego.||Booking Contact.|
|2012 Mitsubishi Triton||Dual Cab Ute Auto||Diesel 4WD||Remote area, Long range fuel tank. Suitable for TOWING BOATS, National parks excl Kosciuszko, Reverse parking sensor||F5B||BQ61HI||Make a booking|
|2012 Toyota Hilux||Dual Cab Ute Auto||Diesel 4WD||TOWING BOATS, Remote area, Roof racks, Bull bars; National Parks incl Kosciuszko, Yellowbrick Satellite Tracking, UHF radio, Long range fuel tank||F5B||BS58ZN||Make a booking|
|2014 Mitsubishi Triton||Dual Cab Ute Auto||Diesel 4WD||Suitable for TOWING BOATS, National parks permit excl Kosciuszko, Yellowbrick Satellite Tracking, roof racks||F5B||CVK98J||Make a booking|
|2015 Toyota Hilux||Dual Cab Ute Auto||Diesel 4WD||Terrestrial only! Remote area, roof racks, bull bars, auxillary battery, redarc full sine wave inverter, National parks excl Kosciuszko, reverse parking camera, Yellowbrick Satellite Tracking, Canvas seat covers, fog lamps||F5B||CF96UW||Make a booking|
|2013 Holden Cruze||Wagon Auto||Petrol 2WD||Urban Trips Within Sydney, Mainly for administrative duties||F5B||BU26FG||Make a booking|
|2016 Toyota Hilux||Dual Cab Ute Auto||Petrol 2WD||Trips in and around Sydney. Can be used for Fieldwork, reverse parking camera||F5B||CJ23LT||Make a booking|
|2016 Toyota Hilux||Dual Cab Ute Auto||Petrol 2WD||Trips in and around Sydney. Can be used for Fieldwork, reverse parking camera. Do not use for fieldwork IF other cars are available||W21A||CJ24LT||Make a booking|
- Biology personnel – 50c/km,
- Non-Biology personnel – 75c/km.
- Biology vehicle excess – $500/-
- Unclean vehicle return – $500/-
- Return without full fuel – $100/-
Payment is made using HDR/ Research/ Grant account numbers in the log books. Preference is given for large undergraduate field trips, service and repairs and RHD fieldwork (in that particular order).
The department has a range of equipment available for use in the field. Please contact the terrestrial fieldwork manager for assistance if you require anything. Available equipment includes
- Satellite phones
- First aid kits
- Camping gear
- UHF radios
- 4WD recovery equipment
Training courses are open to students and staff, some of these may be required before specific fieldwork activities can be authorized.
- Advanced 4WD courses can be organised for individuals or groups. These courses are applicable to remote and offroad fieldwork. Please contact the terrestrial fieldwork manager for more information.
- Apply First Aid is required for all field activities. At least one member of the fieldwork team should hold a current certificate. Sessions are organised regularly by Human Resources.
- Remote area first aid is highly recommended for fieldwork in remote or wilderness areas. Please contact the terrestrial fieldwork manager for more information.
National Emergency contacts
- Emergencies within University – 9850 9999
- Emergencies outside – 000 (112 from mobiles)
- Poisons information – 131 126
- Police Assistance (non-urgent) – 131 444